Saturday, July 11, 2009

Fish Tacos!!

I have had quite the long day so far! I woke up at 7:30, had a small bowl of Frosted Mini Wheats, and then hit the gym for some strength training and a 2 mile run. After that, I hurried back home for a quick shower and threw together another Green Monster, which included:

* 2 handfuls of spinach
* a banana
* 1 c. of Lite Silk vanilla soymilk
* 1 T milled flax
* a handful of raspberries
* 1 T honey

It was pretty tasty, but not as pretty to look at as yesterday. Basic knowledge of colors will tell you what green and red make. :) I think tomorrow I'm going to add a little peanut butter and see how that goes!

I took my Monster with me to meet my mom and aunt for a round of golf. We ended up playing 18 holes today, walking the entire time. I was plum tuckered out afterwards, and I came home, had a snack, read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire for a few, and took a little nap. :)
By the time I woke up it was 5 o'clock, so I decided to get started on dinner. My last few weeks in Chicago, I discovered the wonder that is fish tacos. Of course, now that I am in BFE, I crave those fish tacos quite frequently. Border Grill has a mahi mahi taco that is pretty decent, but it's missing the corn tortilla. I found a recipe on allrecipes.com that I have been dying to try, so tonight I took the opportunity. They were so good!! I modified the recipe a little bit, but here it is:

FISH TACOS

1/2 cup fat free plain yogurt
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 lime, juiced
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

1 pound tilapia fillets, cut into bite-sized chunks
Approx. 1 clove minced garlic
1 (12 ounce) package corn tortillas
1 package shredded red cabbage

First, mix the yogurt and mayonnaise together. Add enough lime juice for the sauce to be slightly runny. Add the jalapeno pepper, oregano, cumin, dill, and cayenne pepper and stir until evenly mixed.





Next, cut up your tilapia (you can also use cod, orange roughy, mahi mahi, etc.). Heat up a pan with a little olive oil, a bit of lime juice, and the garlic. Here is where I got a little "crazy." I added the tilapia to the pan, then added some more lime juice and a few dashes of cumin and cayenne pepper for some flavor. Cook the fish thoroughly.



Finally, put your tacos together!! I like to add the fish first, followed by the sauce, and finally the cabbage. Delish!!







I am very pleased with my first foray into homemade fish tacos and will definitely be making them again. They would taste SO good with a margarita or Corona! :)
Alright, I'm off for now. I've been begging Keith to go to Frosty Treats for some ice cream, and then I believe we are going to the fireworks tonight. Later gators!

No comments:

Post a Comment