Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Review: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

As you all know, last night I went to the midnight showing of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, the 6th installment of the series.I absolutely adore Harry Potter, so forgive me if this turns into more of a gush-o-rama rather than a review of the film. Oh, and I will make this as spoiler-free as possible!


The film was highly enjoyable throughout the 2 1/2 hours (give or take a few minutes). The film opens with a brief re-cap of how the last installment concluded, and then jumps right into the action. Within the first few minutes of the film, we are already shown the type of relationship Harry and Professor Dumbledore will have throughout the movie.

We get to see many familiar characters, including Hagrid, McGonagall, Luna, Lupin, and even Professor Flitwick, though none of them play a huge role in the story. I really enjoyed how the filmmakers added a little more humor and romance in this installment. The lighter tones make the characters feel more relatable, and help lighten up an otherwise dark, and sometimes scary, film. Personally, as a huge fan of the books, it is always nice to see as many scenes from the book as possible. Obviouslly, certain things always must be cut, but it is so nice to see some of the smaller stories played out, such as Ron's experience with love potion. Plus, we get to see some Quidditch again!!! And one of my favorite characters finally gets a moment of glory!!Like I mentioned, there are certain things that had to be cut from the film that I would have liked to see. Without giving much away, I will briefly say that I would have liked to see more interaction in the classes, as well as showing some Defense Against the Dark Arts classes with Snape. I would have also liked to see more of the memories involving Voldemort's past on the screen. I hope his history will be told more thoroughly in the final films.

I am not the sort of fan that really complains about how different the film is from the book and gets upset about things that are left out. Honestly, I can't even remember most of what was taken out of the movie, because I didn't have enough time to read the book again before the movie was released! I have enjoyed every one of the Potter films so far, and I'm sure the final two will not disappoint. I always love sitting in a theater and enjoying a movie so much that, even running 153 minutes, I just don't want it to end! :)

I think this is my favorite film of the series so far, but I need to see it again before I can make a final determination. ;)

If you have seen the movie, what did you think?? Were you happy how the book translated to the screen? Was there anything left out that you were hoping to see?

No comments:

Post a Comment