Thursday, August 20, 2009

Blast From the Past

This afternoon I went back to my old undergrad (NMU!) for mentor orientation for the Student Leader Fellowship Program. First of all, I feel like a bit of a fraud, because I am 25, haven't actually started my career yet, and don't really have any volunteer work or leadership roles in the community as of right now, so I feel like there is no possible way I could be considered a good mentor! I remember how much I liked having a mentor when I was in SLFP, and I just hope my student doesn't think I'm lame!!!

Secondly, all the students are coming back to campus since classes start on Monday. I've been to campus a few times over the summer to study in the library and it's also where my hubby works, but it was so weird seeing it start to get crowded again....and I am no longer a part of that. Some of the students with their families looked so young, which made me feel old (even though I look like I'm about 18, haha). To be honest, I'm a little sad I'm not going back to school this year. I mean, I have had been a student for 20 years of my life. It was a main part of how I identified myself for years. Now I can't even say I'm a physical therapist, because I feel like I'm still in the in-between phase. Ei-yi-yi.

Thirdly, my husband is currently working the laptop distribution this week, so I decided to pick up dinner for myself on the way home. This is relevant to my "blast from the past" topic because a) I worked Dome Distro for 3 years of undergrad when I worked on campus and b) I picked up dinner at The Pasta Shop, which always reminds me of working with my 3 best friends from college. I have to admit, I am getting a little sentimental and a wee bit teary thinking about this! The whole experience of the afternoon really made me miss the good ol' days of undergrad with Chera, Chena, and Kelly working at Micro Repair and laughing hysterically pretty much every day. Doesn't it seem like life was so easy back then??

Anyway, that's enough of my reminiscing for tonight. If you've made it this far in my post, congratulations and thanks for sticking it out!! :)

I really adore The Pasta Shop. It's kind of a hole-in-the-wall Italian eatery where you can dine-in or take-out. Every time I go in, I look over the menu, but I always end up ordering the same thing.

I start off with a small Italian salad. It has romaine and iceberg lettuce, tomato, pepperoni, and I think parmesan cheese, and their house dressing is so amazing! It's hard to choose between this salad or an antipasto salad from the Casa, but this one might win. :)


For my entree, I order gnocchi with meatless sauce. It blows my mind every time. There is also an amazing slice of garlic bread that is unphotoed. I always save it for the end and dip it in the leftover sauce. DELISH!!!!

I was one stuffed cookie when I finished this meal. I should have divided the gnocchi in half and saved the rest for lunch tomorrow, but I was up to my neck in chow mode and didn't even think about it until I had maybe two gnocchis left. Ooooh well!

Earlier today I painted my nails a new shade that I purchased way back in April and hadn't tried yet.

It kind of looks like fungus. I'm not very impressed. However, I am too lazy to take it off, so maybe I'll get used to it over the next day or so. I think this shade may work on my toes and maybe with a 3rd coat instead of just two in oder to make it more lime green and less...well, fungus. :)

Okay, I'm off to bed! I am going to work in the morning (boo!) and want to get in a yoga sweat sesh beforehand! Have a great night!!

3 comments:

  1. yum yum yum, i LOVE the pasta shop. when you and keith come and pay us a visit you can bring some pasta shop and bri and i will treat at PF's :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pasta shops sounds awesome! NCState does not have good food on campus really...but we do have Port City Java and that is good fuel for the mornings and an afternoon pick-me-up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOODNESS!!!! The Gnochi and salad just made my mouth water. Reading your post made me miss those days too... I miss the fall and start of school at NMU and I miss laughing until I cried at Micro.
    I miss you my niki boo!!

    ReplyDelete