Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Stuffed Pepper Experiment

I'm not sure why, but the last few nights I have had NO CLUE what to cook once dinner time rolls around. I think I'm having trouble finding inspiration, or maybe it's just laziness?

Anyway, I decided to do something with some of the leftovers in my fridge (beans, rice, ground turkey) and came up with......stuffed peppers!

I've never made a stuffed pepper before, but there's a first time for everything, right? I had 3 green bell peppers that I sliced the tops off of and gutted. I mixed together leftover cooked brown rice, black beans, ground turkey (with pasta sauce from yesterday's lunch), chopped green pepper from the tops that I cut off, salsa, and a bit of minced garlic. I had just enough mix to stuff the peppers to the brim!

I baked the little beauties for about 25 minutes and topped them with shredded colby-jack cheese when they came out of the oven.


Ta-dah! These were really tasty and fresh. I love the thought of eating a meal out of a big vegetable! I would make a few tweaks next time such as: leaving out the chopped pepper from the mix (it was a bit of green pepper overload) and letting them bake a little longer to soften the pepper (these were a bit too crisp for the hubby's taste).

For dessert, someone may or may not have polished off the remaining birthday cake. I won't point any fingers or name any names. I'm just sayin... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment