Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Three For Three

Hey ya'll!! I hope you all have had a great Hump Day! Only two more days until the weekend!

I started my day off with a 5:20am wake-up that I actually adhered to!!! I got up, threw on my workout clothes, and downed a Carnation Instant Breakfast for some pre-exercise feul. This morning I completed a strengthening routine that included:

* chest presses
* rows
* shoulder lateral raises
* front and side planks
* lateral lunges
* squats
* triceps push-downs
* biceps curls

I followed my strengthening with a ride on the stationary bike:
Time: 25 minutes
Distance: 5.3 miles
Avg. Pace: 12.3 mph
I have only used the bike a handful of times in the last 7 years, but I'd like to use it more often on my cross-training days. It really works your quads!
For brekkie, I had a scrumptious breakfast cookie:

Oats, pb, flax, brown sugar, cinnamon, and skim milk with a yummy scoop of Greek yogurt drizzled with honey.

Along with a handful of blueberries:

This breakfast was awesome. I think working out and eating a great breakfast are the greatest ways to start your day. I was so happy and energized all morning!
I was so excited to eat lunch today!

I was thinking about making a tomato soup, but as soon as I saw this Campbell's Select Harvest chicken noodle soup, I knew that's what I wanted. It has whole weat noodles, real chicken, and veggies. I just added a little salt and ground pepper as I heated it.

The highlight of my lunch:

What goes better with soup than a sandwich? I made a grilled cheese with ww Arnold's sw thins, spinach, and the magic ingredient....GOAT CHEESE!

Look at that gorgeous, gooey, deliciousness. Heaven.
I studied for a little while after lunch, but I think my early morning really hit me at around 3:30. I ended up taking about a 15 minute nap on top of my boards review book. Oops.

I had an eggplant sitting in the fridge for a while, so I decided to cook that up for dinner. I tried eggplant parmesan a couple years ago, and it was okay, but I think I sliced it too thick for my tastes. I kind of threw things together for this recipe, and it turned out really good!
Eggplant Parmesan
For parmesan breading:
* 1 1/4 c. bread crumbs
* 1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese
* parsley, salt, and black pepper to taste
* 3 eggs

You'll also need:
* 1 jar pasta sauce
* mozarella and parmesan cheese for topping

Wash, peel, and thinly slice eggplant. Mix together bread crumbs, parmesan, parsley, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk 3 eggs together in a separate bowl. Dip eggplant slices in egg, followed by the bread crumb mixture. Place slices on baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes, then flip slices and bake another 8 minutes.
In a 9x13 baking dish, pour half of pasta sauce. Add a layer of the baked eggplant, followed by a layer of mozarella and parmesan cheese. Repeat process, adding the rest of the pasta sauce, another layer of eggplant, and more cheese to top it off. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until brown.

Score! Three great meals today! My tummy is extremely happy today!
Tomorrow is going to be another busy day. Have a good night!!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome workout Niki!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when I stick to my early morning workout plan! Thanks for the eggplant recipe. I'll be trying that soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 words: goat cheese!

    Amen amen! That always sends grilled cheese over the top and makes it so much better!

    ReplyDelete