Thursday, September 10, 2009

Change of Plans

Let's get to the eats, shall we?

Last night's dinner:

Chicken stir-fry with asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, red pepper, squash, and snow peas.

Breakfast was a bowl of Nature's Path Flax Plus Multibran cereal and Puffins with milk. No pic, because it's boring. :)

Lunchie was uber-tasty! I had more taboule:

Grapes

Pita chips and hummus (just discovered Sabra and it is amazing!)

Plus a Kashi Peanut Peanut Butter granola bar that lives up to the label.

All together now:

After work tonight, I hit the gym for an amazing workout (more deets below), and was starving by the time I got out of the shower. Luckily, Grandma had given us a few of her made-from-scratch pasties, which only required a quick warm-up in the oven.

By the way, it's "pass-tee", not "paste-ee". Get your minds out of the gutter, people!

My husband is the greatest, and last night he went to Jilbert's to pick up my favorite ice cream in the whole wide world. Unfortunately, they no longer package this flavor to sell in stores, but they did offer to pack up a quart-sized container to take some home with us.

Amaretto Mackinac Island Fudge. Does that not sound amazing?? I have tried other cherry and chocolate flavored ice cream, but none of them even come close to this perfection!

So, I have some pretty exciting news today!

As you may know, I have been training for a half marathon the last couple months. I was intending on running the Community First Half Marathon in Appleton, Wisconsin on September 20, however, I hadn't yet registered.

The first reason I didn't register right away had to do with money. As in, hubby and I didn't have much to throw around while I was waiting to take my boards and start working full-time. When I finally thought I would register a couple weeks ago, Keith and I got some very exciting news (to be shared soon, promise!). This news involves a date that has yet to be determined, but there is/was a possibility it could conflict with the race.

A few days ago, I learned that there is a half marathon in Marquette on September 26! It's the Lake Superior Shore Run and this is the course description:

Beginning at Little Presque Isle, the half marathon course runs for 1.5 miles along Lake Superior beaches and then passes pristine Harlow Lake. From there it gently winds up 300’ of elevation to views of the Huron Mountain Range from the top of Bareback Ridge. The course then winds back down to Lake Superior for a 1.5 mile stretch of rugged running from Wetmore Landing back to the finish at Little Presque Isle. Four aid stations will be spaced evenly on the course. Some sections of the course are extreme.

Sounds a little scary to me, since I haven't been doing any trail running or much hill work. However, one of the patients I saw today is a runner, and she totally encouraged me and talked me into signing up!!

I am so excited for this race, but also very nervous! My patient described a few hills, some rocky areas (which she assured me that most people walk), steep and narrow stairs (upstairs and down!), and a wooden rope bridge. Yikes!

After registering for my running doom, I was really excited to work on some hills today! I had a fantastic hill workout on the treadmill. I ran 4 miles in 39:07, with 6 hill intervals worked in. The hills were tiring, but I pushed through at a consistent speed, and even felt strong enough at the end to sprint the last quarter mile.

This race is going to be awesome!

My goal for the half is simply to finish. If I was planning on running a flatter course, I would be more interested in breaking my previous time, but I only have 15 days left to train, and I don't want to do anything too hardcore and injure myself.

Any advice on how I should train for the next 2 weeks?

2 comments:

  1. AHH awesome!!! you will do GREAT. i would just focus on being calm and focus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yayyy! It is funny how things work out, don't ya think? I cannot wait to hear all about it. I wish I could offer advice with training--but to be honest: I am not the best at training. My only advice is: do not over-train! haha, b/c I did that and it's not fun on my shins.

    On a yummy note: hello, amen, yes maam to that ice cream flavor! Hubba hubbaaa

    ReplyDelete