Friday, September 25, 2009

The Night Before

Thank you so much for your responses to my last post! They are all excellent ideas, and I'm sure I will be using all of them!

I am getting all settled for the big day tomorrow!! I can't believe I will be running 13.1 miles in about 12 hours from now!

This morning I had a very hard time getting out of bed, but I was so excited to make pumpkin pie oatmeal again! If you have not tried this combo yet, seriously do it soon!

I used pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and about a quarter cup of canned pumpkin. It is heavenly!

The husband and I had an appointment at lunchtime, so we stopped for a quick lunch together at Taco Bell (his choice, haha). I am obviously not that concerned with what I eat the day before a race. I probably should think about this more seriously in the future.

Keith's parents came to visit for the weekend, so after work we went to the Casa for some PASTA! Pasta is one pre-race tradition that I like to stick to.

I ordered fettuccine with tomato sauce and grilled chicken. Carbs + protein = YUM! The Casa is famous for their super buttery garlic bread, but I thought ahead and ordered it "light". Not as delicious, but also not as upsetting on my tummy! I think it was a smart move!

Before dinner, I was so excited to pick up my race packet! We made a swing by Sports Rack to get the goods.

Um....here are the goods:
My number, pins, and wipes.

Yes, wipes.

At least I got a pretty nice tech shirt!

Needless to say, I am HIGHLY underwhelmed with these race goods. Maybe I was spoiled at my last race (which was also my first), where I was loaded with coupons and samples. I am disappointed that there are no time chips, and I'm totally bummed that there isn't a map of the actual race course. Everyone keeps asking me where the race runs, but all I have is a brief summary (Start at Little Presque Isle, pass Harlow Lake, climb 300', stretch along Lake Superior...etc.). I feel like I want more info as a first-time runner of this race! Maybe I just like to be super organized about these things?

End rant! :)

I have gotten all of my race attire ready for the morning!

Ugh, I have to apologize for all these pictures looking like CRAP. I am very excited to wear my running skirt! I'm also bringing my long-sleeved Under Armour top because the forecast is calling for cool and rainy.

After work, I made a couple pit stops to pick up some race essentials:

I am going to have a real breakfast in the morning, and then about 45 minutes before the race, eat a naner. Bananas digest pretty easily in my tummy. I also bought another packet of GU Chomps for during the race, and a Clif bar for after (I also have no clue if there is a "post-race party" or any food at all at the end). Hey! How did that almond butter sneak in there? ;)

My hydration pack is also ready to go with my half water/half Gatorade combo. This may be TMI, but it kind of smells. I wish I realized this before tonight, because I would have washed it! Oh well!!

Love the phrase on the Gatorade bottle:

Pretty good race/life mantra, no?

Last night I was finally able to update my iPod and I made a playlist for tomorrow that I am super excited about!!

I have quite a mix of music on here. I like to throw in a few mellow songs on my longer runs, too.

What are some of your favorite songs to run or workout to?

I've included most of my favorites on this list. This post has taken much longer to put together than I had anticipated. I need to be well-rested for tomorrow, so I am off to bed!

Have a great night!!

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to hear how you did! I am looking forward to the race recap.

    Did you run this race in Charlotte?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read your re-cap!!

    ReplyDelete