Monday, September 07, 2009

Running with Olympians

This morning I had intended on going out for a 10 mile run. When I got out of bed, my logical brain said there was no way I could get in 10 miles, but I had been really looking forward to my long run, so I was in denial.

I failed to mention in my last post that I did a few new strength moves on Saturday (including deadlifts). Even though I only used 5 lb. dumbbells, my hamstrings have been so sore and tight and I have not put in the proper effort to stretch them out.

Needless to say, it was a tough run. My legs felt like lead, and even though I really wanted to conquer this long run, I knew they would be 10 miserable miles of heavy feet and discouragement. Taking a cue from Angela, I pulled back and ended up finishing 4.6 miles along the lake.

It turned into a pretty good run, even if I only did about half of what I intended. About a mile and a half into it, I had a celebrity sighting!! Apolo Anton Ohno was also going for a morning run!

Yes, THE Apolo Ohno: Olympic speedskating gold medalist and Dancing With the Stars champion. He is in town for the U.S. Speedskating Short Track Olympic Trials this week, which are hosted at my alma mater. It was pretty inspiring to see him along the trail and think: "I'm running with an Olympic athlete!" Too bad it couldn't make me legs a bit more limber today!

The hubby and I are off to my grandparents for lunch! Have a happy and relaxing Labor Day, everyone!

Question: Have you had any encounters or meetings with a celebrity?

1 comment:

  1. How awesome!! And 4.6 miles is still great, girl :)

    ReplyDelete