Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Running/Race Mantras

Yesterday during my run, I was thinking about how it would be nice to have a mantra for my race this weekend. I used to occasionally use the mantra, "Finish Strong," at the end of some of my runs, but I haven't used this phrase in a long time, and I'm not sure it will get me through 13.1 miles of trails, rocks, and hills.

Do you have any running or race day mantras? Are there any phrases that help get you through a particular workout? How about a phrase that just helps you get through life and tough days, in general??

I would appreciate any of your thoughts on this topic!

Onto the eats:

Yesterday for lunch, I heated up some of the leftover kabobs in a pita.

It was great, but I was still hungry, so I made a bowl of cereal (honey sunshine and multi grain flakes).

After work, I went to the gym to complete my final hill workout before my race on Saturday! I ran 4 miles with 6 hill intervals and finished in 39:03. I am planning one more short, easy run tomorrow, with a rest day on Friday. I am so excited, but SO nervous!

I took a quick shower and had to get ready quickly to attend Bible study. I ate my dinner in the car, which included a sammie on flax and fiber bread with ham, pepperjack cheese, and dijon mustard.

As well as leftover peppers and hummus.

One of the best parts of Bible study are the treats after we finish the lesson and start socializing. My grandma made apple slices. Cooked apples are my least favorite of any cooked fruit. I still thought I'd give the dessert a try, in the event that I might change my mind. Eh...I'd rather have chocolate cake, but at least there was vanilla ice cream! :)

I don't know where this aversion to cooked fruit came from, but I have been informed many times that it is standing in the way of me enjoying many desserts, as well as things like apple cinnamon oatmeal.

Speaking of oatmeal (what a great segue), this morning I heated up oatmeal in the microwave, this time using a very large mug.

Gotta love my standby of brown sugar, cinnamon, and peanut butter.

I especially love my Winnie the Pooh mug! I LOVE Pooh!

Lunch today was a repeat sammie, and for dinner I threw together some spinach and cheese tortellini with marinara sauce. Not the most fancy meal, but it was quick and easy!

I have fully caught up on my Project Runway episodes, and I am definitely ready for bed! The end of the week is quickly approaching. I cannot believe I am running another half marathon in less than 3 days!!

Please remember to comment with your personal running/life mantras! I can't wait to read some of your ideas!!

4 comments:

  1. When running I try to remind myself how far I've come. At the end I just repeat "Push IT" over and over again. I also like to think that I'm a machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I am running I always think of this one girl who doesn't even have a leg - she has a fake leg, and was able to complete a half marathon. If she can run, so can I.

    LOVEE that hummus. It was buy one get one free so Im all stocked up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, when I feel like I can't keep running, I count to 100 5x and then I can look at my watch. Not so much a mantra, but it is meditative and stops any negative thoughts in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After completing a mile ....i try to feel myself renewed for next mile (as if this is my first mile)..this helps a lot.

    happy running

    ReplyDelete